Dr. C Udaya Shankar, Senior Consultant – Neurology Sakra World Hospital
In the era of remote work and office routines, many folks are grappling with troublesome backaches due to prolonged periods of sitting. Whether you’re logging hours from the comfort of your home or hustling in the office, the sedentary lifestyle is taking a toll on our backs. It’s as if we’re all stuck in a “seated trap,” feeling the ache in every inch of our spines.
As the saying goes, “All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.” It might be more like, “All sitting and no stretching makes us achy and sore!” So, it’s high time we break free from our sedentary chains and give our backs the love and movement they deserve. A good posture requires the correct alignment of vital body parts with sufficient muscle tension support.
Here are 10 essential postures for maintaining a happy back.
- Sitting Smart: Preserve a healthy back and spine through proper posture. Select an appropriate chair, align your back with the floor, and keep your shoulders straight to ward off common problems like lower back pain and neck stiffness. Extended periods of sitting may trigger health issues such as musculoskeletal misalignment, balance concerns, compromised digestion, and reduced flexibility.
- Feet on the Ground: Keep both feet flat on the floor to distribute your weight evenly. This helps in maintaining a stable and comfortable sitting position, preventing unnecessary strain on your back.
- Optimal Screen Height: Set your computer screen at eye level to eliminate the need to tilt your head up or down. This encourages a neutral neck position, minimizing the likelihood of discomfort in the neck and shoulders. Adhere to the well-known 20-20-20 rule and ensure your eyes don’t become dry.
- Ease Your Shoulders: Permit your shoulders to naturally lower, avoiding any hunching. Maintaining a relaxed and level position aids in averting tension and strain in the neck and upper back.
- Close Elbows: Maintain proximity of your elbows to your body while typing or using a mouse. This creates a comfortable 90-degree angle, lessening the likelihood of strain and discomfort in your arms and shoulders.
- Pause and Stretch: Stand and stretch every half-hour to alleviate stiffness and enhance blood circulation. These brief breaks rejuvenate your body, averting prolonged strain on your back.
- Lift Safely: When lifting objects, bend your knees instead of your waist. This method ensures your leg muscles bear the weight, safeguarding your back from undue stress and potential injuries.
- Back Support Tip: Employ a cushion or lumbar roll to uphold the natural curve of your lower back during prolonged sitting. This added support aids in preserving correct spinal alignment and alleviates strain on the lower back.
- Stay Fit: Strengthen core and back muscles for good posture and spinal health.
- Resting Position: As the day concludes, it’s crucial to give your back the well-deserved rest it needs for rejuvenation. Select a mattress and pillow that offer ample support for the natural curve of your spine. This guarantees a peaceful and comfortable sleep, warding off morning backaches and stiffness.